Thursday, September 22, 2011

Finding meaning in Art...







This week I learned about finding meaning in art. Art can have different meanings to different people. Sometimes the artist gives you the title and meaning of the piece and sometimes they don't. Sometimes you can look at a piece of art and know exactly what the artist is trying to say and sometimes you have to use critical thinking to understand the piece. I think some artist intentionally want the meaning of their art to be unknown to the audience but has a sacred meaning the them personally. I think the appreciation for art comes when you can interpret your own meaning from something someone else created. I'm learning that art doesn't have to be structured or pretty to be appreciated or understood. Art can be categorized as abstract, realism, and non representational. About three years ago I painted two pieces of what I can say is "art". I had no clue what I was doing or why. I still have the pieces and every time I look at them I can remember how I was feeling and what was going on in my life. After all these years I'm beginning to understand why I chose the specific colors in the pieces. I know what the colors mean to me because I use them frequently when being creative with colors. I don't have a title for the pieces yet, but the more I look at them and reminisce I'm sure one will come. I would say my pieces are non representational because I wasn't trying to depict anything I was going off how I felt and what you see here is the outcome of what I was feeling.

2 comments:

  1. Great! Thank you for sharing your art with the class, I am so glad that this class has helped you to better understand and talk about your own artistic endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I wanted to share this link with you, it is another artist who focuses on hair
    http://www.lparkerstephenson.com/artists/ojeikere/

    ReplyDelete