Thursday, September 15, 2011

I am afraid to admit that I did not know much about the artists discussed in the video or any other artists. It does make me feel very ignorant, but I do believe that is why it is a requirement to take this class. If it would have been my choice, perhaps I wouldn’t be here posting this blog, and I would have been missing out on a lot. When the video started discussing what modern art is, I questioned it. To me, many of those “creations” were not really art. It seems like I did not pay attention to the word “modern”. I always thought of art as an old man painting a nude lady or other famous paintings such as the Mona Lisa. As the video progressed, however, I began to appreciate what modern art really is. The distorted figures and patterns began to make sense. It does not necessarily mean that I like it, but I did realize that art is an expression of the artist’s emotions and experiences. Art is something personal, something unique to each individual. For example Picasso, even if he started his career by using other style, eventually he created his own and became a “genius” and he switched back and forth freely. That is another aspect that I learned about art from this video; that art is a form of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment