Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"Go Vegan" by Trenton Doyle Hancock

One of Trenton Doyle Hancock's drawings titled, "Go Vegan", caught my attention instantaneously which by just looking at it looks controversial. To me he is depicting how vegetarians seem to appear physically, offending most people who are vegans. Besides that, it came to my attention that in this abstract drawing  he used pastel colors from how the apple was colored in.In my opinion what made this drawing contentious are the words " Go Vegan" that appear on the guys forehead which is the title of this drawing also.I think that it wouldn't be that much of a big deal if those words were not there. One of the things that I like about this drawing is the way he formed the human's body and face structure to make it look boney. The shadows to me are an example of chiaroscuro and tenebrism which represents the gradual change form light to dark on the bones shadows. Although it is offending to the vegan community,in my perspective it is an astonishing way to address his judgment towards the physical appearance of a vegetarian.       
     

1 comment:

  1. I love what you had to say about this piece. It is a perfect example of an artist using text to add meaning to his work.... its also pretty funny too!

    ReplyDelete