Friday, September 30, 2011

Laylah Ali

As I looked at all the artists, I found that I liked Laylah Ali's work the best.  I like how they all seem to be stick figures, but it has a huge political meaning behind most of her work.  She was born in Buffalo and now lives in Massachusetts.  It takes her many months to produce even one piece of work, as she plans everything from subject matter to what colors and brushes she will use.  A lot of her work depicts political events with nooses, hoods, and military-style uniforms while others shown social and cultural lifestyles with mask and robes.  She's has exhibitions at museums, and I like her work mostly because it could just be a stick figure drawing, but at the same time, it could mean so much more if you just stopped and read into it more...
Image Detail
Image Detail
Image Detail

No comments:

Post a Comment